Sunday, May 22, 2016

To my babies who make life magic.

These days it is so common to hear moms complain about how hard it is to raise little humans, we talk about the exhaustion, the stress, the constant non stop battles over every little thing. Like “c’mon kid can you sister please just look out your freaking window so I can drive in peace?!?!” And don't get me wrong I have done my fair share of calling up my shoulder to vent about the most recent pain in the butt thing my children are doing that is making me want to pull my hair out.
But here's what we are forgetting. For every one of those pain in the rear moments, there are hundreds more that are so perfect, so amazing, and so easy to miss if we only focus on the stress or exhaustion. When we were little we could run free for hours without focusing on how much sleep we got the night before or weather or not it was chilly and we didnt have a jacket. We just lived in the moment and lived life completely free. At some point we grew up and came to a point where we would rather watch TV than go outside and live. The stress of work and bills took over and relaxing was only something we could do on a friday night, the rest of the days were reserved for complaining, stressing, and working. So this is my thank you letter to my little angels, for  letting me be a child again, if only for a little while.
My little man, thank you for teaching me how to dance to the sound of an ambulance siren, and letting your sheer joy as you wiggle your little booty along side me, distract me from embarrassment I would have otherwise felt as a grown adult hopping around to the sirens. You were right, that was the perfect time to boogie, and an ambulance can carry quite a tune.
Malia, Thank you making me take you down the slide over and over and over. It has been years since I felt that drop in my stomach and the wind on my face as I sped down an extra high slide. What started as a forced climb to the top and a fake “wooo” to show you excitement turned into a very enjoyable rush as I held you while racing your brother to the top of the jungle gym over and over. At least for a little while I forgot about the two hours of sleep I had gotten the night before and focused only on how tight you closed your eyes while squealing with delight all the way down.
Thank you for reminding me how much more fun a squirt gun is at the beach than simply laying on a towel soaking up the sun.
Thank you for showing me how perfect every shell is, and how something as simple as a rock can be such a precious treasure.
Thank you for getting me down on the ground to admire a “shnail”(snail) and bringing back my childhood as you fill your pockets with rolly polly bugs.
Thank you for peanut butter kisses, for ice cream dribbling down your chin before bed, for that tiny little tongue licking your lips right before you steal the chocolate I was trying to eat in secrecy.
Thank you for those early morning snuggles, and those tiny little hands holding mine as we run across the park.
Thank you for making a simple act of feeding the ducks or petting a kitty magical again. And for making me laugh until I cried at that face you made when the puppy stole your snack.
Thank you for the bedtime stories that I do still enjoy but never would have read. Dr Seuss can never get old.
Thank you for pulling my attention to every airplane, helicopter and Jet. taking a detour to watch the Helicopters take off was way more exciting than grocery shopping anyway.
Thank you for reminding me that kisses can fix all hurt and for wrapping your tiny little arms around my neck when I was ready to break.
Thank you for not understanding why we have to rush to and fro, you are right, that is not how life is meant to be lived and there is always time to throw some rocks in the water or play racecars.
Thank you getting me out of the house at night to take a snuggle walk under the moon, nothing brings me back to my roots like staring at the night sky, yet when left up to me I don't do it nearly as often as I want to.
But most of all my angels, thank you for being you. Thank you for being perfect, for making life easy again, for having your biggest problem be when your popsicle melts before you finish eating it, and for truly believing that my snuggles could fix the world. Before I had you life was good, but it was no longer magic. Thank you for showing me how to live again.
Yes we have our hard days, and I would do anything for a few more hours of sleep, or to eat dinner without a meltdown. But the amount of love, beauty and magic that you have added to my everyday life is something I would have forgotten completely about without you.
You two are my whole world, and a single day with you, meltdowns and all, is  infinitely better than an entire lifetime without.
I love you to the moon and back my babies. Please stay little as long as you can, I'm not ready to grow up again.







No comments:

Post a Comment